How to install Java Netbeans package manually in ubuntu 14.04 LTS linux operating system (after downloading netbeans from the Netbeans or Oracle website).
1) Download Eclipse or Netbeans 32bit or 64 bit version & save it somewhere in your ubuntu file system.
3) Normally it is a .tar file or .zip file or some kind of archive file. Unzip it with the help of some unzip software like 7Zip or RAR, also to unzip you can use the following command. If the zip file name is netbeans.tar.gz then use it in the folder where the ZIP file resides.
$sudo tar -xvf netbeans.tar.gz
to run the above command you need to turn on the termical window in ubuntu, which is a black color rectangle, click on it. Then type the above command and press enter. Be sure in the terminal window where you are, that means your directory location. Say you put the netbeans directory in /Downloads folder. From terminal, run command to move downloaded package to /opt directory
$sudo mv Downloads/netbeans /opt/
4) Create a new desktop file called ‘netbeans.desktop’ in /usr/share/applications/ , Using this command-
$sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/netbeans.desktop
type the following in the file opened in the editor-
Comment=Integrated Development Environment
5 ) Run the following command to automatically install it in Unity
$sudo desktop-file-install /usr/share/applications/netbeans.desktop
6) – Create a symlink in /usr/local/bin
$sudo ln -s /opt/netbeans/bin/netbeans
7) To display the icon in dash, run following command
$sudo cp /opt/netbeans/nb/netbeans.png /usr/share/pixmaps/netbeans.xpm